"
Newspaper Archive of
Askov American
Askov, Minnesota
Lyft
July 1, 1976     Askov American
PAGE 24     (24 of 34 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 24     (24 of 34 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 1, 1976
 

Newspaper Archive of Askov American produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2022. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




14 Bicentennial Edition Thursday, July 1, 1976 Kerrick Continued from page 13 rest of the territory. In these days, voters could meet at last years polling place at 9 a.m. and vote as to "where the election shall be held". The Kerrick settlers got together and de- cided to do something about it. They traveled on foot eight to eleven miles and, unknown to the Nickerson voters, they voted to hold election at the Steam powered train unloading freight at Kerrick. Section No. 9 schoolhouse, ten miles away. They picked up their ballot box and off they went, but their joy was short- lived. The mill owners shut down their mills and hauled all the voters with lumber wagons and teams to Section 9 school and won the election. In these early days liquor flowed and fists flew. Justice, too, had its inning in the early days as the following story Sexton Mercantile taken in 1907 or 1906. Owned by W. P. Hogan. 1950 and the lumber yard burned in January, 1951. The Presbyterian church was built in 1~28. Carl Johnson did a lot of the work, Eldred and Della Parker built and operated a tavern in 1936. After their deaths their .... son-in-law and daughter, Mr. ' and Mrs. Tony Schweiger, took over. A grocery store on Main street was operated for many Stockpiling sand, Halverson sand pit. Old hand car by Kerrick Depot. years by the Riehms. A cheese factory was started about 1935 and operated until about 1954. There was also a garage that was later turned into a feed store; this was owned by Bill Ames. This burned in 1951 or 1952. Milt Beekstrom built a large garage and care in 1940 or '41; this closed about 1968 or '69. There was also a large building used : for a warehouse owned by W. P. Hogan. This was moved to the Golden farm for a barn. A town hall also was moved, this to the Ernie Newman farm. The team shed fell two years ago, First Kerrick Depot. would indicate: A floater came :' ' .... ~ to town much in need of clothes. He was given underwear, socks and the necessary articles and : : ~ put to work clearing land to pay the bill. A few hours later he had disappeared. Tke clothing supplier an from the btore, caught a moving freight train and found his man at Bruno and promptly walked him back six miles where he was relieved of his clothing -- including under- wear, and sent on his way. Around 1914 and 1915 there was a lot of building taking . place. The Catholic church was built. Also a second hotel (the first one burned) was built by Ole Beckstrom and Ole Berset. A paper was put out at this time called "Hogan's Mirror". The first car was brought in at this time, a Ford, owned by Edward Berset. About 1920 S. A. Halverson and Nelson started a molding sand pit. They also had a lumberyard which was built in the early 1930's. Later S. A. Halverson bought out Nelson. The pit quit operating about Good old days --- County Road 46 from the west. Taken of Kerrick looking east across highway 23. Note Town hall and feed store. The road to go out east went to the left by the store. Halverson sand pit. Les R iehm's cattle truck. under the weight of heavy snow. Kerrick began having fairs in the early 1930's and they were held annually until World War II and people from all over the area took part. Cliff Erickson moved to Kerrick in the 1940's as a cashier at the bank. Cliff took a big part in incorporating Ker- rick into a village. The first meeting of the elected officers was held December 9, 1946. The first mayor was Bill Ames; clerk, Cliff Erickson; council- men, Ed Sexton, Milt Beck- strom, and Louis Stesniak; constables, EIdred Parker and Ed Hultgren; Justices of the Peace, Ray Hogan and Earl Parker; treasurer, G e r r y Lueck; assessor, Hans P.. Chris- tensen. A volunteer fire de- Kerrick Rhythm Band, 1936-37, Esther M. Cote, teacher. Continued on page 15 Halverson sand pit. Parkers Tavern built in 1936. Part of Matt McGrath farm over 60 years ago. Emil OIson standing by $1000.00 load of seed in front of Kerrick State bank, owned by W. P. 1935 !ii This is the begin.ning of a booster campaign which the Kerrick chants have joined together in promoting in an attempt to make this ,munity a center for business dealing for the convenience of the the entire northeastern section of Pine county. We the undersigned the pablic to read our statements in this space each week during the to come. LET'S MAKE KERRICK THE COMMUNITY WE WILL BE CALL OUR HOME Over and Over. it has been proven that-- SKELLY GASOLINE L,mAD6 THE FIFA~D Quick Starting-- Low in Carbon-- High in Power-- IT'S 801.,D AT Eldred Parker's For a COOL glass of DE]~R-- A COOL drink of POP--~" A LUSCIOUS dish of ICE CRF, AM-- go to Confectionery ATLAS Are Of The They" cJi.r t~r pla/nts are adjured We carry a Bne of ~nd cart serTe yOU than most of the othe brand~L ~ess. t Kerrick Two Used MOWERS 1 Deering New Ideal 1 Minnesota No. 1 Both used last year and in ,running condition. CHF.,AP ! W. P. Hogan SPECIALS FOR FRIDAY AND SATURDAY FRUIT PECTIN, 20c large bottle .............. RUBBER RINGS, 25c 6 pkgs. for ........ JELLY GLASSES, ! 42c dozen .................... NAPKINS, 100-Pack ................. 9C We have a good supply of Jars, glasses, rings, lids and all canning necessities. Hogan Merc. Co. FOR EASY RIDING-- LONG DEPENDABLE SERVICE-- We believe we have as complete a yard as any in If there are windows or something of that nature we in stock, we will get them immediately and the price as low as you can secuce from any one. We have built our yard for permanent business. Only you the best of service and the best prices can we hope to! JUST TRY US WITH YOUR Halverson Lumber It is of Utmost that the animal heat be re~Inoved from milk as quickly at all times, and especially in hot weather. Cool qulcRly--Keep the cover oft the can--Stir mM heat is gone. If you do these things, you will have very little during these exceedingly hot days we have had vdry lltti~ GOOD MILK -- FINE CHEESE -- GOOD LOW COST OPERATION--- SAFETY GLASS IN ALL MODELS AT NO EXTRA COST-- Kerrick Cheese I AND FOR HIGH TRADE-IN VALUE--- BUY THE m It's ahead of the parade. CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT A FIRE DO TO OUR COUNTRY NOW Eldred Parker moving this cabin in from the Rowe place. Hogan Motor Sales ean Aluminum is the Ideal material for a washer tub. The MAYTAG tub is one-piece, heavy cast alumi- num. The square shape with gent- ly rounded corners amplifies the water action of the Maytag gyrs- tator. The adxantagee of this ex- clusive tYl~e Maytag tub are many, yet it is 'but one of the score of features that make-- MAYTAG THE LEADING WA~iHER Co. A match or cigarette carelessly dropped, A fire set to burn rubbish--- Anything that might start a fire---It impossible to prevent loss of property Imps even loss of life. We can well more than usually careful until this is over--ANIN- BE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD Poor Insurance is of No Value to may be CHEAP but not WE WRITE ONLY GOOD Feed stare owned by Bill Ames Louis Hurtgren house, the first house in Kerrick. The Louis Hultgren family. Standing on the balcony is/the family of Ole Berset. The baby hold by the father is Phiflip Berset, who makes his home now with the Glenn Jones' --- taken about 1915 or 1916. \ This ad sponsored by Kerrick Community